Washington Initiative for Student Health (WISH)
WISH promotes the necessary role of healthy schools in supporting well-being and building a foundation for learning, which improves the health and academic achievement of all students.
Children in Washington State will lead the nation in health and educational outcomes through a healthy school environment and equitable access to needed health services in schools and the community.
Develop and support systems in which schools and communities are better able to create the conditions that support student health and wellness, eliminate health disparities and close the achievement gap by:
– Recognizing health as an integral part of excellence in education.
– Ensuring every school provides students with safe and healthy places to learn, play and grow.
– Providing equitable access to needed school health services for all students.
– Growing the knowledge and skills of teachers, principals and all school staff to create a healthy school environment that focuses on weaving prevention into the fabric of every day.
– Connecting parents, business leaders and community members with school-based health promotion efforts.
A little background…
WISH is a multi-stakeholder initiative designed to improve child health and eliminate health and academic disparities. It began two years ago as a Johnson & Johnson Leadership program in which School Nurse Corps Nurse Administrators (SNCNA) were selected to participate in developing a community health project.
With guidance from Johnson & Johnson, Rutgers University, and multiple state agency stakeholders, the SNCAs created a blueprint for development of this work. Since then, WISH has grown its partners who have a stake in the health of Washington’s children.
Want to learn more about WISH and how you can get involved? Contact us: [email protected]